Saturday, April 5, 2014

Kale and Cilantro Pancakes--Breakfast Afghan Way



Last time I shared a recipe for my son's favorite American breakfast. Today, I offer you a breakfast meal from a different culinary tradition. This is another recipe I learned thanks to my Afghan friend.

These pancakes may seem a little bit spicy or fulfilling for a first meal of the day but if you look at the ingredients it turns out that they add up to a very healthy meal. And if you think that kale has been proclaimed by some the most healthy vegetable, it may sound even more interesting to those who look for another kale recipe. Kale is also often used to make a green juice--one of the latest dieting fads.

Kale pancakes are based on eggs but they cover a long list of vitamins. Cilantro delivers mostly a significant amount of vitamins C, K, A, and beta carotene, while kale, in addition, is also rich in calcium, magnesium, vitamin B-6, and iron. There is also turmeric added which has been another healthy and fashionable spice, widely recognized for its anti-inflammatory properties.

I tried kale pancakes for brunch at my friend's house a few weeks ago. They made a great meal, especially when followed by date cookies and green tea flavored with cardamon. Ever since I got this recipe I have been making these pancakes pretty often. It is a breakfast or brunch meal, but I like them also for lunch while my kids enjoy them even for dinner or as an evening snack. If I have leftovers I freeze them and use later.


Afghan Kale and Cilantro Pancakes
(Makes about 20 pancakes)

Ingredients:
6 organic eggs,
3 tbsp all purpose flour,
one medium onion,
1/2 bunch fresh coriander leaves,
2 medium kale leaves,
2 jalapeno peppers (optional),
1 tsp ground turmeric,
1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds,
salt and black pepper for frying,
vegetable oil for frying.

Preparation:
1. In a large bowl beat eggs with flour until it is smooth. Add turmeric and coriander seeds.
2. Chop onion and jalapeno and add to the batter.
3. Chop the coriander leaves. Cut out only the leaf parts of the kale, discard the stems, and chop the leaves. Add both greens to the batter.
4. Season everything with salt and pepper.
5. Heat 2 tbsp of oil on a heavy duty frying pan. Put 1/4 cup of a eggs mixture on the hot oil. Fry on a medium heat until gold. Turn and fry on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter.


6. Dry pancakes on a paper towel from the extra oil. Serve warm.


No comments: