Melons are now everywhere. They are deliciously sweet but somewhat bland. However, they can be combined with any exotic fruits, especially the more fragrant ones, to make interesting and light fruit salads.
I like most to serve desserts that I make myself and which show my creativity. But sometimes on a sunny day and after a spicy dinner a chilled fruit salad is the best choice. Particularly, when my guests are the weight-watching and calorie-counting types. I love all the seasonal fruit salads with fruits at their peak, especially raspberries and blueberries, but this salad is perfect to complement a spicy Indian meal, or other exotic dishes. Easy and healthy.
Sunny Fruit Salad
1 cantaloupe or any melon you happen to have,
2 kiwis, green or gold,
2 branches of fresh mint,
2 tbsp white port, optional.
1. Peel melon and remove seeds. Cut into regular cubes.
2. Peel kiwis, cut in four pieces and make also small cubes.
3. Remove peel from mango and cut out flesh from the front and back of fruit, avoiding a hard part around the seed. Cut the flesh in long stripes.
4. Squeeze juice from the lime.
5. Put all the fruits in a glass bowl,season with lime juice, porto, if used and decorate with mint leaves.
6. Mix gently.
7. Chill in a refrigerator for about 30 minutes and serve in individual glass bowls or on plates.
This fruit salad can be made a couple of hours earlier and pulled out of a refrigerator at the last moment.