Thursday, August 30, 2012

Red Onion Pasta--A Minimalistic Dish


I am back!

For the first time since I started this blog I have not been sharing any recipe for such a long time--over a month. I decided to go on a long vacation to Poland without taking my computer with me. I just took the camera. It was supposed to be a truly relaxing, family time. But it turned out it was rather a punishment. I mean the lack of the computer part. I just convinced myself one more time that living without internet in modern times is not possible. I suffered a great deal. Not only that I could not post anything but I was not able to check any simple information that I usually find through the internet.

But visiting my blog sporadically I noticed that my absence only helped my popularity and recently I almost doubled my daily readership. Nevertheless, even if my today's post will lower my excellent August performance, I feel a renewed urge to post another recipe and, after that, hundreds of new ones that already waiting. I am afraid I am addicted to it now.

I came home two days ago after a month of absence, tired after twelve hours of flight. When in the evening my family got hungry I checked my food resources and options. I opened the refrigerator and except a couple of food jars, a piece of dry Parmesan, oil and vinegar, I found there only a one fresh vegetable left--two large red onions. What do I do with that? Nothing simpler. A delicious one-ingredient pasta, which served with a glass of red wine made my home warm and homely in no time. I saw this recipe somewhere once and it luckily came to my mind at that moment of culinary desperation.

I loved the result. Thanks to a bit of sugar and a good dose of balsamic vinegar, the onion got a slightly sweet and almost winey in taste that blended wonderfully with the mild taste of pasta. Fresh parsley (from my herb garden) and a lot of freshly ground pepper made this minimalistic dish a real feast. Easy and tasty, a great transition to the upcoming fall.


Red Onion Pasta
(Serves four)

Ingredients:
1 lb penne pasta,
2 large red onions,
3 tbsp olive oil,
1 tbsp brown sugar,
3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar of Modena,
2 tbsp chopped flat leaves parsley, chopped,
shredded Parmesan cheese,
salt and pepper to taste.

Preparation:
1. Cook pasta in a large pot with a tbsp of salt until al dente.
2. While the pasta is cooking peel off the onion. Cut it in half and slice it finely.


3. Heat the oil in a medium frying pan, add onion, and fry on a moderate heat until soft for about five minutes.
4. Add a tbsp of sugar and fry mixing until the sugar dissolves.
5. Pour vinegar over the onion, mix and fry for another minute. Season with salt.
6. Drain pasta on a colander and transfer to a serving bowl. Spread onion on top and follow with chopped parsley, shreded Parmesan, and a generous amount of freshly ground pepper.





No comments: