I love turmeric. And not only because of its delicate taste and intense color which so easily stains kitchen tools, but also because of its health benefits. Almost every time I open any magazine that discusses healthy foods I find an article raving about this yellow spice. Turmeric is claimed to have a very strong anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and anti-tumor properties. Some studies show that turmeric can be as effective as steroids and ibuprofen in fighting arthritis. Others say that it can protect against Alzheimer or Parkinson diseases.
Besides all that we learn about turmeric it is a nice spice that enriches many dishes. It has been in my cuisine for ever and certainly ever since I first tried Indian recipes a long time ago in England. But it is worth mentioning that turmeric should not be abused as too much of it may cause a dish to have a bitter taste.
These Indian potatoes is a dish spiced with turmeric that I have been recently making very often. It is a simple vegetarian dish that served with green lettuce or fresh cucumber salad makes a nice dinner. Please try it, for whatever reason--health benefits or just its beautiful color and taste.
Spicy Potatoes with Turmeric
2 lb (about four) wax potatoes,
1 medium onion chopped,
3 tsp turmeric,
2 tsp of panch poran spice (or 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp.fennel, 1/4 tsp mustard seed, 1/4 tsp onion seeds (nigella), 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds),
1 and 1/4 cup natural yogurt,
2 tbsp tomato paste,
2 tbsp of ghee or vegetable oil,
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves to garnish.
1. Peel off potatoes, cut alongside in quarters and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until not raw anymore but still firm. Drain them then on a colander.
2. Preheat oven to 350F
3. In a large frying pan heat ghee and add onion. Fry it until transparent.
4. Add to the onion all the spices, tomato paste, and yogurt. Bring to boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Add potatoes to the pan and mix until they are coated with the spices and yogurt mixture.
6. Transfer potatoes to an oven proof dish.
7. Bake for 40 minutes covered with a lid or aluminium foil.
Serve warm garnished with chopped cilantro leaves and green salads.